Questions as man abducted from his home found dead
Nyanza
By
James Omoro
| Jul 17, 2026
A 52-year-old man who was abducted from his home in Homa Bay County has been found dead.
Paul Otieno Odongo was abducted from his home at Kokech Village, Kanyango Sub-location in Rachuonyo West Sub-county on Sunday night.
Odongo was abducted by two men who masqueraded as police officers.
According to the Assistant Chief of Kanyango Sub-location, Lawrence Ochoo, the two men who masqueraded as police initially wanted to abduct Odongo’s son.
However, when they realised that the son was not Odongo, they abandoned their intention.
READ MORE
KTDA warns critics against circulating leaked loan data
More pain at the pump as Epra hikes oil firms' margins by Sh7
How bid to formalise small businesses is doing more harm than good
Family Bank profit soars to ShSh3.7b as Absa ups dividend amid profit dip
The businesses that survive the next decade will be the ones that learned to read risk
Public participation: Bar owners petition House over the Tobacco Bill
Why women micro-entrepreneurs say no to good credit
TVS bets on Kenya as electric two-wheeler market gathers pace
Kenya to host key Africa blockchain festival 2026 in October
“The two men arrived in Odongo’s home on a motorbike at night and found Odongo’s son in the compound. They enquired if he was Odongo but they established he was his son before they told him to call Odongo,” Ochoo said.
However, when they established that they had met Odongo, they told him that he was under arrest.
The abductors told Odongo’s family that he was under arrest and they were taking him to Nyagwete police station.
However, when the family went to the police station the following morning, they found Odongo was missing. Police said they had not arrested Odongo and lacked his whereabouts.
“The family became worried after failing to find Odongo at Nyangwete. They decided that their son had gone missing after being abducted,” Ochoo said.
The family reported the matter at Kendu Bay Police Station.
However, Odongo’s decomposing body was found in a thicket on Friday. The body portrayed signs that it had been burnt with acid.
The body was discovered by a man who was herding cattle.
Odongo’s death is suspected to have resulted from a land dispute.
Ochoo said Odongo had recently reported in his office that there was someone who was grabbing his land. He slated July 13 for a meeting to discuss the land dispute.
“Odongo and the accused person were to appear in my office on Monday, but he failed to come. We later realised that he had been abducted,” Ochoo said.
The administrator said police had taken the matter for investigations.
The body was moved to Homa Bay County Referral Hospital for postmortem examination.