More remains found as Kosovo mass grave search widens
Europe
By
AFP
| Aug 04, 2026
Kosovo authorities said Tuesday they had identified a third potential mass grave in the country's north, expanding investigations into a suspected 1990s war crime that have already uncovered the remains of 11 people.
Excavation work began last week in the area of Zubin Potok, with the initial dig since expanding -- officials believe there could be as many as 23 people buried near surrounding villages.
Following the discovery of remains at the second site on Monday, investigators now said they were also looking into starting a third dig.
"Due to the sensitive phase of the investigation, the Special Prosecutor's Office is unable to provide further information at this time," the prosecutor's office said in a statement.
The 1998-1999 war between independence-seeking ethnic Albanian guerrillas and Serbian armed forces killed around 13,000 people and left 4,000 missing.
READ MORE
Government outlines policy path for Kenya's growing telematics sector
World Bank sanctions e-Citizen founder over fraudulent Somalia deal
Reprieve for 213 Lavington Club as court suspends Nema's closure order
New AI push seeks to cut deployment time from months to days
Engineers urge full implementation of the Technology Act
Givans Odawa: Agronomist turning bees into money making machine
Entitlement Vs financial literacy: When celebs, content creators turn to followers for help
Banks ditch hustlers for Treasury bonds amid worsening debt crisis
Why Infrastructure Fund will only fund economically viable projects
Lamu refinery plan gets boost with Dangote's Sh130b underwriting
Decades of work to uncover mass graves have found the remains of thousands, but 1,600 are still missing.
All the remains have been sent for DNA testing and identification, a process prosecutors warn could take months.
Police have also arrested three men from the local area in recent days on suspicion of war crimes, according to prosecutors.
The discovered remains most likely belong to "23 Albanians who have been violently abducted, executed" in the spring of 1999, acting Prime Minister Albin Kurti said on Saturday.